You know the first thing a guy thinks about when he goes vegan, believe it or not, is MEAT. Strange right? “How the hell am I going to give up meat?”, is what you’ll ask yourself. Also, “where am I going to get my protein?”. (We’ll address the “P” word later on, don’t worry.)
I think that as men we automatically relate being manly to eating meat, which is probably something that has been pre-installed in our “man hard drive” since the dawn of time. Going vegan is going to require you to update your operating system or for some, wipe it clean. There are options out there; some good, some bad and some that will completely satisfy your carnivorous cravings. If you don’t believe me, then see what the expert of all experts has to say, Alton Brown, about the newest discovery and meat substitute, Beyond Meat. Do yourself a favor and read this article,Tastes Like Chicken. I think, it speaks volumes about how far we’ve come in the plant based protein world, and did I mention Alton Brown is singing Beyond Meat‘s praises.
Here are a few of my favorite substitutes after Beyond Meat:
- Field Roast (Great sausages, and perfect for Turkey Day)
- Gardein (Great chick tenders, and well just about all of their products)
- Upton’s Naturals New found favorite. Wonderful flavor and abundant in spices!
- Lightlife Smart Deli (After all we’re men and men eat sandwiches, but not all of their products are vegan)
- Tofurky! (They make everything from pepperoni, to Tempeh bacon)
- Boca Burger (Good options, but not my first choice)
Don’t forget that not all substitutes are created equal. Check the ingredients, because vegetarian is not always vegan.
Stay strong men,